Thank you, and everyone we’ve worked with, for being part of WashPIRG and helping to accomplish a lot in 2011.
This year, WashPIRG students:
- Protected student aid for over 9 million students by stopping aggressive cuts to Pell grants, the cornerstone federal financial aid program.
- Together with the Sierra Student Coalition and the Cascade Climate Network helped organize Power Shift West, a 500-student regional environmental conference at the University of Oregon
- Were named Washington Public Campaign's "2011 Organization of the Year"
- Exposed almost $300 million wasteful state tax subsidies and loopholes that could be cut
- Gathered over 1500 petition signatures to protect our oceans by banning plastic bags in Seattle and Olympia. Seattle voted to ban plastic bags this week!
- Teamed up with the cast of Mad Men to make a Funny or Die video supporting High Speed Rail.
- Were featured in the New York Times, USA Today, The Associated Press, and 5 Washington outlets for our work to make textbooks more affordable.
By joining together and funding WashPIRG at The Evergreen State College and the University of Washington, we've been able to work locally, statewide, and nationally to take on the biggest problems our country is facing and accomplish real results. Thanks for your support.
Of course, there's still a lot to be done on all of our campaigns. I'm excited for next semester.
- About Us
- Local Chapters
- Get Involved